Thursday, December 29, 2011

I like Rick Santorum

Comment Up
Faith, Family and Freedom--that is Rick Santorum's message.

Our friend Tony Plakas in Lake Worth doesn't like Rick Santorum. I can understand why Tony and others in the gay community MIGHT not like him--It is Santorum's stand for the family unit--two parents, a mother and a father as well as his non-support of gay marriage. He has been accused of being anti-gay by gay rights groups because of this stand.

“We have made the decision that the best way to raise a family is with a man and a woman.” -Rick Santorum on CBS’s Face the Nation

But Rick Santorum was also against the Terri Schiavo case. So was I. He is a firm supporter of Social Security. So am I. He supports Intelligent Design--an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins rather than a religious-based idea. But he believes in God. So do I. He believes in protecting the most vulnerable in our society. He is against partial birth abortion and so was the Supreme Court of the country and so am I.

He also authored legislation to advance adult stem cell research, so that ethical research could take place to fight debilitating diseases without the moral implications associated with embryonic stem cell research that destroys human life.

Once he was elected to Congress he targeted waste and fraud going after the House bank and the post office. More leaders need to take stands on waste and fraud. He has been consistent about lowering taxes and wants to:
  • Cut the corporate tax rate in half
  • Cut the tax rate to zero for all manufacturers
  • Permanently extend the Bush tax cuts rates for Capital Gains and Dividend Tax rates
  • Repeal the Death Tax
  • Repatriate taxable income outside the United States at a rate of 5%
  • Reduce the tax code for all by making the system flatter, fairer, and simpler

He has taken a firm stand against those who hate our country and its principles and understands that we must stand up to those ideals and against those who want to destroy them and our freedom.

He has openly stated his strong opposition to amnesty for illegal immigrants.

What little I know about him I like. He is the most conservative candidate running and to me, he comes across as "real."

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

He couldn't even win his own state, actually lost by the worst margin anybody ever has as a Senate Republican in PA. I don't understand why people haven't gotten over people being gay they are just as normal as anyone else. Once this older generation is gone you will see no more disrespect towards that community.

Lynn Anderson said...

No one said that you had to like him. I'm just saying that I do for all the reasons that I stated. Gay stuff I am not into at all. Each to his own.

As far as old people go, Rick Santorum is not old. I guess you think it cute taking a crack against the elderly and guess that was a side slap down of me.

Anonymous said...

In 1994 during the 1994 Republican takeover, Santorum was elected to the U.S. Senate, narrowly defeating the incumbent Democrat, Harris Wofford, 49% to 47%. The theme of Santorum's 1994 campaign signs was "Join the Fight!"

2000
Main article: United States Senate election in Pennsylvania, 2000
Santorum was re-elected in 2000, defeating U.S. Congressman Ron Klink by a 52%-46% margin.

So, he won several times in PA.

Anonymous said...

I think this has to do with a strong religious belief. Religion should not be in politics although I wouldn't want a Muslim as President.

Anonymous said...

No it wasn't a slap to you or anyone else. It's just the mindset that many people have who are older (even my parents). Gay marriage, race, women's rights, are non-issues to younger generations because we don't think twice about them.

As far as the nomination goes I think its down to Ron Paul/Mitt Romney/Newt Gingrich/and Rick Santorum (but he is not polling good anywhere besides Iowa and is underfunded)

Anonymous said...

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

- Thomas Paine

Lynn Anderson said...

I think it is true that it is a religious belief. Younger people are not as involved in religion as we older folks are. Perhaps that is why I am more liberal on issues even though I am a fiscal conservative because I am not particularly religious...found it totally hypocritical when I was 20 and never changed my mind. Don't know if that is a reason as you suggest but I sure have been an advocate of women's rights, gay rights and rights of all people for my entire adult life. I also do not believe in culling a person for one stand on an issue.

Anonymous said...

You like Allan West too right?
Straight from the Jewish Journal:
Regarding Westie's latest idiotic statement- "This is not the first time the Rep. West has evoked an offensive Holocaust analogy. In August 2010 West made an inappropriate Holocaust analogy and the ADL strongly urged west to repudiate his remarks and to refrain from making Nazi references or comparisons. By having recently made yet another offensive Holocaust comparison, West has shown that he is still capable of trivializing and diminishing the memory of the millions of Jews and others who perished as a result of the Nazi war machine. To make a linkage between any mainstream political party in the United States and the heinous atrocities committed by the Third Reich should be simply beyond the pale, whatever political differences arise in a heated electoral season. By invoking the image of Joseph Goebbels and the Gestapo, representative West has displayed a complete lack of understanding of the worst genocidal era in human history". Even West's supporters say- "His references to Goebbels was wrong and inappropriate. He did not realize the painful memories associated with this monster. "HE DID NOT REALIZE THEIR PAINFUL MEMORIES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS MONSTER".
I guess Westie missed history class his whole life.
You really know how to pick 'em. Hopefully your right wing anti gay anti choice religious zealot fares better than Westie.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with you Lynn. That's all I was trying to say. I couldn't figure out a way to get my message across without generalizing the older community. It just so happens that a majority of them think differently then younger folks in those specific ways. I still respect their opinion I just don't agree with it.

Anonymous said...

what does the Jewish Journal have to say about OBAMA?

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the Jewish Journal but the facts remain that Obama’s troop withdrawal from Iraq, failure to stop the Iranian nuclear program, unwillingness to help the Syrian opposition, abandonment of Mubarak, lack of concern with the Hezbollah takeover of Lebanon and ongoing appeasement of the Saudis, is not setting well with the majority of Jews right now.

Anonymous said...

4:21 you are full of crazy stuff. I bet you aren't even Jewish. What a clown.

Andres said...

"He has been accused of being anti-gay by gay rights groups because of this stand."

How can you like someone like this? Are you like this too then?

Not impressed!

Anonymous said...

4:21 was quoted from an article. The "crazy stuff" you refer to are quotes from people that Westie offended on more than one occasion. Westie and Santorum are similar in their beliefs. They are really Scary crazy

Lynn Anderson said...

Andres--I didn't expect people in this city, as liberal as they are, to agree with me on Rick Santorum. I also said that I do not believe in cutting someone off at the knees on one issue. To you it is very important. I understand that. To him, it is his religion. He has the right to believe what he chooses as do you. Until the churches change their stand and accept gays marrying, this will always be a big issue. Until the States decide that murdering someone in cold blood deserves something other than death, the death penalty stands. Good luck. Perhaps it all will happen someday. I believe that it will.