Saturday, June 25, 2011

The "Coolest" Person at Lake Worth Beach

Comment Up

The Big Find

By Tripp Ciocci

I have been metal detecting for years. I am one of those mysterious people you see out on the beach, drifting along the sands looking for lost treasure. The whole experience of metal detecting on the beach is quite relaxing, as you are exercising, breathing the fresh air, and letting your mind leave all your troubles behind to focus on one task: listening for that one “beep” that could be the next “big find."

While looking for treasure, I feel sometimes there is a sign on my back that reads: “Roving Information Center; all questions will be answered.” The favorite question seems to be, “Find anything?” I usually answer with, “Oh, just a few coins.” This is true, because most of the time, what you find does not pay for the gas to arrive at your destination, so you really have to enjoy the hobby for other than monetary purposes.

I recently obtained a new metal detector and decided to try it out at Lake Worth Beach during Memorial weekend. I arrived at Lake Worth Beach shortly before dusk, as I wanted to make sure I had enough daylight to test out the new detector. I was quickly finding some pennies, dimes, and quarters. I wasn’t there very long, when suddenly a young man with a troubled look on his face quickly approached me. I thought he was probably going to ask me if they were catching anything on the pier. But instead, he said, “My wife lost her wedding ring, can you help me?”

In a blink of an eye, I went from being that mysterious hobbyist on the beach, to a real treasure hunter with a mission. My overall track record was pretty good, if you’re looking for lost pennies, or aluminum tabs. But my experience in finding gold wedding rings was zip! I accepted the challenge.

The young man quickly led me to his base camp on the beach. I arrived to meet an audience of not only his distraught wife, but also six or seven more family members. The pressure was on to find the symbol of their marriage. The suspected area consisted of about a 10-foot by 20-foot section of the beach. I began the search, and just after a few swings of the detector, I heard a beep! As I paused to inspect, everyone’s eyes lit up with anticipation, their mouths were slightly open. The anticipation was almost palpable. I thought to myself, I really don’t want to get their hopes up with me potentially digging up another bottle cap.

Without haste, I deftly used my scoop to pinpoint the target and excavate the small section of sugary sand (about four or five inches deep). As the grains of sand were rapidly sifting through my metal scoop, I saw a glimmer. Could this be it? The treasure they were looking for?
I slid the ring shaped object into my hand, and I asked them to describe the ring, as if there were tons of gold rings on the beach. I just wanted to make sure I did not give them the wrong one. The young man perfectly described a breathtaking 18k white gold ring with yellow gold accents. It was truly a beautiful work of art of matrimonial proportions.

When I handed the ring to the young man, his wife shed a tear of joy, and the entire family began celebrating. They could not believe I found it so quickly, and that they had been reunited with their lost keepsake. As the celebrations were continuing, the family could not stop thanking me. My job was done, and for a brief moment, I was the coolest person on the beach.

10 comments:

Ed Teach said...

Yawn. How boring and melodramatic. Sounds like a total windbag.

Lynn Anderson said...

That's the trouble in this city. Certain people can't find anything nice to say even about a heart-warming story.

Anonymous said...

No Ed, the windbag is you. Go back to what you do best. Running your mouth and being rude. You are supporting the wrong candidate by the way. Go wash that Ramiccio t-shirt or is it Maxwell's? Your side of politics flips at a crack.

Ed Teach said...

I don't know how you can determine who I am voting for because of one comment on a non-political blog entry. The post was nonsense and apparently this guy has some sort of god-complex. People like him, who are out seeking recognition and the approval of others must be pretty desperate and insecure. I bet he runs for office some day.

kkss21 said...

Way to go Trip!You really were at the right place at the right time!

Lynn Anderson said...

Ed, or whoever you really are--Tripp is a friend of mine. He is the most unassuming person you would ever be lucky to meet or call friend. I wanted to publish it as I thought it an interesting story. I am sorry that you feel the way that you do. Have a nice life and please, if you ever run for office, let me know who you really are.

Anonymous said...

Ed, you have a real big problem. Are you an anarchist?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story!
Thanks for posting Lynn -

Anonymous said...

It is a cool story. I have always had a secret desire to buy one of those things. Where do you get one?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe 'Ed''s post isn't a joke..albeit a bad one.
If he meant it, he must have some serious anger issues and be one unhappy guy.