Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Siemens and the Bright LED replacements in Lake Worth


I was hoping that our lights at Lakeside Point Gardens would not be changed out as the brightness was perfect as it was, but that "hope" didn't last.

Yesterday, one of Siemens' sub-contractors from Sarasota changed out (some, not all) the lights in my community. He assured me that they would be at least 5 times brighter than what we had. In other words, it will be like daylight at night! The lights they removed will be used in some other part of town, he said. That was surprising news. Let's light up the old people's life, a first!


I never was happy with the Siemens contract to begin with. Last week I got a call from a resident wondering what in heck was going on. His street light was change out and he was complaining about the brightness. I told him to call our Utility Director.

The CITY’s installation project total is $22,964,693 of which $11,259,014 is Direct Purchase of Equipment from vendors and $11,705,679 (that's MILLIONS) is the Contract Sum due to SIEMENS for the Work. Add that up.

Small fortunes on changing out light bulbs ($3 mil), small fortunes for erecting solar panels ($5.5 mil) on our landfill for 2% of power, and $13 mil for smart meters.

My new light...thank God I have shades in my bedroom. This light is within 15 feet of my apartment but I can say no criminal will be stalking around--that's a plus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG,you guys.
THe lights will help fight crime.
Now you want to say that the lights which will help crime in the neighborhood, are not pleasing to you?
Pick one side or the other.
The police are not magicians - why don't you get curtains and see how the crime stats are in 6 weeks?

Lynn Anderson said...

I am concerned about the Lumens. Is all this power really saving $$$. And curtains do not cut it unless they are expensive black-out curtains. the objective of spending $3 million dollars on LED lighting was to save money--not crime reduction. How long will it take to save $3 million? That's what would be interesting to me.

There are a lot of people objecting to them, anonymous. The police may not be magicians but frankly, I don't see one. We will see if the new lights reduce crime and I am hoping that criminals will steer clear of this brightness, if they are smart that is.