Saturday, February 14, 2009

Love and beauty on Valentine's Day


I grew orchids for 26 years before moving into a condo. Orchids need a lot of humidity and other ingredients that only nature can provide. Much to my frustration, I can’t grow these beautiful flowers now. To me, the orchid, and I mean any type, is the most beautiful flower ever created and they seem to take on their own personality. The number of species has been estimated between 10,000 to 30,000; no one knows for sure.

When you buy your first orchid plant, I can guarantee it will not be the last one you ever buy. When you inspect each flower, the magnificence of it blows you away. You wonder how "anyone" could have created anything so wonderful. Most orchid lovers really do get obsessed. When one does not do as well as you hope, you take it to heart.

Being that today is Valentine’s Day, my thoughts automatically went to flowers. The orchid represents, love, luxury, beauty and strength.

The American Orchid Society in Delray that has been in existence for 88 years just announced that it can’t afford to stay open to the public. Membership has fallen nearly in half and the stock market has affected them as well.

What a pity that something as magnificent as this flower with its artful splendor has to take a back seat to the economy.