Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Last Night City Commission Special Meeting

Comment Up

Last night's special city commission lasted all of eleven minutes. The millage of 5.4945 was passed along with the budget of $196,249,345. Much of the eleven minutes was devoted to potholes--what do do and when. There will be a workshop meeting on October 8 to discuss and to get input on how the city should approach what the city manager describes as "a serious problem throughout the city."

A few of the interesting comments from last night:
"The little boogers are growing every day."
Vice Mayor Maxwell speaking to the pothole problem in our city.

"Within $9 million--fairly similar."
Commissioner Chris McVoy asked what our budget was set at for 2013. The Finance Director gave him the figure of $187,588,743.
It was a great question but it was totally dropped and no explanation was given. That is a difference of $8.6 million from last year to this year. There is NOTHING similar about this year's budget and last year's budget. Now if we were talking about tens of thousands and not MILLIONS, I would agree. Since we are bringing in $258,000 more this year than last year, how does this work out? Tell us, commissioners.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

not posting my comment doesn't alleviate the fact that you don't pay any property taxes. zero.
and should just shut up about the budget

Lynn Anderson said...

Well, your comment is from a big coward with a big mouth.
I don't pay any income taxes either.
I own my own place
I own my own car
I don't owe a cent to anyone.
I'm not on Democrat hand-outs...don't take free cheese.
What say you, anonymous? Are you the one with a house in foreclosure who has to pay over $4,000 in property taxes but can't afford the mortgage? Didn't plan your retirement very well, did ya? Too sad. :)
And guess what, the last time I looked the first amendment was still intact.

Mark A. Parrilla said...

I would like to see where it is written in our constitution and/or our local charter that only people who actually pay taxes have the right to free speech when it comes to the right to give their opinion about management and/or mismanagment of the funds that our city budget allots for all the various functions that keep this city afloat. Is live and let live such a difficult concept? I don't think so.

Unbitterly yours,
Mark A. Parrilla