Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Commissioner Ryan Maier's Speech

Comment Up

Mayor, commissioners and staff, thank you. I am proud to serve by your side.
Thank you to my family and to my team who sacrificed in their own lives to support my campaign, and to the people of Lake Worth who chose me by a large majority to be their voice in this forum.

I would like to honor commissioner Szerdi. He served this city and he ran a fair campaign. This could not have been easy for him.

Yesterday marked the beginning of what the media has dubbed "Sunshine Week." Not a celebration of our sunny weather, but rather a national nod to the importance of open transparent government.

To quote the Palm Beach Post yesterday, "If inconvenience is the price of an open society, we celebrate that inconvenience and call for more."

Serendipitous that this event should mark the beginning of my term, as transparency was the heart of my platform.

I address this subject today, not to malign the past, but to set the tone as we make vital decisions about the City's future.

Mayor and commissioners, the people of Lake Worth have sent us a clear message:

- They want their government out in the open
- They want their beach public (and that means the entire property, not just the sand)
- They want their public votes recorded, respected, and defended by their commissioners
-  And they want to be treated like the most valuable resource that the city has. Surely, they are.

I am excited to be here.
I am humbled by landslide support.
And I am honored to serve the people of Lake Worth as your new District 4 Commissioner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

andy didn't look to happy

Lynn Anderson said...

Andy had a steady facial expression that never seems to waiver. He takes the job seriously, usually without ticking too many people off. :) On the other hand, you always know when Maxwell and Triolo are unhappy. I think I captured their unhappiness, if you will, in the photos in the slideshow.