Thursday, July 30, 2026

Mamdani: "We should reconcile and repair this legacy of slavery, stolen wealth and discrimination.”

Mamdani Won’t Rule Out Cash Reparations For New Yorkers

New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani is leaving the door wide open to taxpayer-funded reparations for slavery in America’s largest city.

The democratic socialist mayor refused to rule out cash payments when pressed during an interview with The Root’s Charles Blow, instead saying he would wait for the recommendations of an ongoing city study.

Blow asked Mamdani directly whether he would support cash reparations if the commission endorsed them.

“First, I want to say that I stand by what I submitted. It’s the truth. It’s not a personal assessment,” Mamdani responded, according to an official City Hall transcript.
“We often think about slavery and the complicity in slavery as being exclusively to certain geographic areas of the country,” he continued. “Here in New York City, we were very complicit. And so I look forward to whatever those findings are.”
Read more...

No comments: