Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Former Lake Worth Police officer awarded $7.1 million in lawsuit

Jury awards former Lake Worth police officer $7.1 million in breach of contract case

'Having to fight your employer for your rights, I never felt like I retired,' Joseph Viera, who served with Lake Worth police, told WPBF 25 News.

Viera was responding to an emergency call back in 2001 when his life turned upside down.

"There was ... a woman that was in distress. She was being attacked by two men wielding a knife. And on his way to the call, he got T-boned by a car, which resulted in career-ending injuries," said Daniel Lustig, an attorney at Pike & Lustig.

"Most of my spine has been fused. I’ve got severe nerve damage. My spinal cord was damaged, my neck was fractured, both hips, both knees, my shoulder. I’ve got paralysis in areas of my body," Viera said.

The city of Lake Worth declared him catastrophically injured in 2001 but they didn't want to pay him all his benefits that were owed to him.

But guess what??!! WPBF 25 News reached out to the city of Lake Worth Beach for a comment in response to the $7.1 million verdict, and the city manager sent this statement below.
"The City of Lake Worth Beach respects the Jury's decision in the case with Joseph Viera. At this time, the City plans to appeal the decision and as such will be offering no further comment on this matter."
Read about it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what happened to the lady that was being attacked

Anonymous said...

Just the way the city likes to play low ball low ball low ball and then when they go to court and they lose they have a pay a big big settlement they probably have hundreds of lawsuits pending at least the same I just can't understand where the city gets all this money from for City that's always dirt poor the city never wants to settle anything they always want to take it to trial and they know they're going to lose that's because the city manager and the City attorney thinks they can win I hope they stroke out that 7.5 million dollar check and one big lump