Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ethel Harris Fundraiser

Comment Up


She has no family. She is 86 years old. She is in a wheel chair. She doesn't complain and maintains a sweet attitude. Ethel Harris has been in the news of late. She has her own horror story but she has not let it get her down. In spite of a few who took advantage of her and someone who abused her who received a 35 year prison sentence for his crime, she remains positive. And after being a victim of an assault about four years ago, she was eventually kicked out of her nursing home when she ran out of money. PBSO, District 14 had a Fundraiser for her yesterday. There was waiting room only and no one minded.

PBSO wanted to help her. It knew how needy and deserving she is. You see, her home needs a lot more than just a little TLC. There is a roofer who has volunteered to give her a new roof. Termites are literally eating her home away. The appliances and her a/c need to be replaced. Lake Worth Utilities managed to get a Grant for Ms. Harris in the amount of $3,000. This will be used for a new air conditioner. Volunteers, such as her friend Mark Parilla who is president of her neighborhood association as well as Robert Waples will be helping to weather proof her windows and doors and place insulation in her attic.

On Saturday, Ethel found new "family" that cared about her...many residents of the City of Lake Worth, the Sheriff's office and Benny's. Benny's kept the Fundraiser going all day. Over and above Benny's contribution, there was a big glass jar for donations that amounted to $275.

If you want to help in any way by volunteering or giving a donation, call Deputy Donovan at 561-586-1611 or go to the web site, Rebuilding Together of the Palm Beaches and donate on-line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Lyn,

Thank you so much for this beautifully written post that is full of the love both Ethel and her caretaker deserve. Lyn we owe to Ms. Harris that you and I were able to bury the hatchet and not in my head, at times I may have well deserved just that. Lyn I would like to take this opportunity to publicly post my apology that I gave you at Benny's face to face yesterday, that ended in a hug I will never forget. I was humbled by your kindness and I do look forward to building a friendship that will be second to none of the others that I have the blessing of having. I mean it when I say that I didn't think I could feel any better yesterday but you proved me wrong by accepting my apology and agreeing that love can conquer ANY AND ALL differences. Here's to a new beginning of mutual respect. :-)

Sincerely,
Mark A. Parrilla

P.S. Lyn, Chip Guthrie of The Potty Doctor has offered to do any plumbing work for free including installing a handicapped height toilet for Ms. Harris. The blessings are pouring in. We have so many wonderful people in our city! I am truly proud to call myself a Lake Worthian.