Thursday, August 6, 2026

Fetterman, Thorn in the side of some Democrats

Fetterman will not change his Party affiliation

But do the Democrats want him?

The New York Post reported that top Pennsylvania Democratic insiders have already begun maneuvering to mount a primary campaign against Fetterman in 2028, with former Rep. Conor Lamb seen as the likely challenger.

A Quinnipiac University poll showed a majority of Democratic voters disapprove of Fetterman's job performance, even though he remains broadly popular when Republican voters are included in the sample.

Fetterman himself has acknowledged the friction with his base. "Parts of my base are really angry with me, which is really strange," he said in an earlier interview. "I mean, run the numbers. I mean, I vote, I think 90%-plus Democrat... but my base, [they're] very angry about me being fully, fully, unapologetically supportive of Israel."

He has previously questioned whether Democrats have room for pro-Israel voices like his own, a question the party's activist wing has answered with growing hostility.

So the picture is this: a senator who votes with his party on the vast majority of legislation, but who has become a pariah within his own base over a handful of issues, chiefly Israel, and who responds to that rejection not by moderating but by escalating.

Calling elements of your own coalition supporters of "full-on communism" is not the language of a man trying to mend fences.

Read more...

No comments: