Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Transformation

On December 7, 2003, in an interview with John Roberts of CBS News, then Senator Clinton said that she opposed allowing same-sex marriage while affirming her support for some form of civil unions for same-sex couples.

On March 18, 2013, Clinton, in a video posted on the website of the Human Rights Campaign, came out in favor of allowing same-sex couples to marry "personally and as a matter of policy and law."

It took ten years.


In April 2008, Obama said, "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian ... it is also a sacred union."

On May 9, 2012, Obama said, “At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.”

At his Inaugural Address:  "Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law.. For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well."

It took four years.

No comments: