Monday, November 19, 2018

City of Lake Worth hires Research firm for March Ballot Intiatives

Last night I got a call from a group called ADG Research. They were hired by the City of Lake Worth to conduct a survey on some ballot initiatives that the city and City manager Mike Bornstein are considering for the March 2019 election, initiatives they (the city) want passed.

Most of the survey was about development within the city and the selling of public owned properties. This would take a vote of the people thus a charter change. The Steinhardt property comes to mind as the last person involved in this property wanted to fill-in parts of the Intracoastal Waterway and develop condos. Bornsetin at the October 18th meeting said that the County had the resources to maintain it and suggested giving the County a 99 year lease. Why can't we ever maintain anything?

And what about our beach park?

One of the questions was about the selling off of city property and if the funds were to be used for parks, etc. and the monies overseen by a public committee would I be more likely to vote "yes."  I asked the gal who was conducting the survey if the question was a joke. We have already witnessed the lack of meetings and participation of the Bond Oversight Committee.

There were other questions, one of which was about downtown parking and another about selling off our Chamber Building on Lake Avenue. Do you remember when the city sold off the parking lot on Lucerne?  That was a gigantic mistake. And now the city is concerned about parking. I was also asked to rate the present commission. Basically, our commission is as good as our city manager as he runs the show. Thanks to a few on the commission who don't always "go along."

The lead off question asked if I would vote to change the name of our city from the City of Lake Worth to Lake Worth Beach. I said "no way." She then informed me that she had to read the entire question. When she finished, I said "no" a second time. Read my remarks from one month ago.

At the very end, she asked my age and my first name.  Dear City of Lake Worth, I answered "no" on about every question. This is where the clever city, using your tax dollars, is gathering important data in order to formulate their ballot questions to get the results they want. This is why we voted in three year terms just a year ago, a bad idea for Lake Worth. I would much rather see term limits on the ballot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got this call last fri and they told me it was a survey of might be thoughts.not about one person but my thoughts on how the roads were coming along.and if I was R. OR D. which I thought was strange for lake worth

Anonymous said...

The Commission and administration needs to keep it's hands OFF of our public properties. Give you one guess as to who wants to buy the Chamber bldg to further his downtown empire? When does our Library go on the auction block??? Also,notice how quiet all of the A-ho's pushing for the Hudson Holdings takeover of our beach have been??

Anonymous said...

I strongly agreed with all the questions

Lynn Anderson said...

12:24--woopie! You are probably one of those voters who always agree with development of any kind in our city. Developers rule.