Saturday, October 28, 2017

I cancelled my subscription to the Palm Beach Post


As a loyal subscriber to the Palm Beach Post for decades even as far back as to when they had a morning and an afternoon paper called the Palm Beach Post Times, I cancelled my subscription yesterday. It wasn't just the whopping price increase in the letter I received from them...there were a myriad of reasons for doing so.

On Friday morning I called at 9am...left on hold for 17 minutes listening to this message that said my call was very important to them. Decided to use the prompt and dialed 1 so that someone would call me back in the sequence of the calls in the queue. I wrote to the man whose e-mail address was on the letter...never heard back from him either. No one called. I waited until Noon to cancel. At that point, I got a real live person but by then I was highly annoyed and determined.

My reasons to cancel:
  • Price doubling in 4 years. In my calculations, it was going to cost me over $511 a year.
  • In 2014, I was paying $110.24 every 6 months. Now they will charge $218.99 plus 7% sales tax every 6 months beginning December 1.
  • They are going to charge $3.99 plus tax for 5 special editions like Thanksgiving, Christmas.
  • Never getting any customer service or technical service when needed. You have to listen to all these telephone prompts to get nowhere.
  • Some of their reporters post to the Internet thus paid subscribers are subsidizing all those who don't subscribe.
  • They had a policy a year or so ago that if you paid by credit card, you were charged a little less thus forcing you to use a credit card.
  • And one of the reasons for cancelling is the simple fact they are a left-leaning newspaper. Even their Left and Right columns are always left leaning and Trump hating. The editor even wants to keep sanctuary cities.
The gal on the phone tried to tell me about costs going up. I know all that, but increasing my cost at a rate of 25% a year is ridiculous. I have to wonder how many subscribers they will lose with this latest poor management decision.

To make an irritating story short, my cancelling their paper was given to an employee doing damage control who called me around 12:30 and they are offering the paper to me for one more year at my old rate. I asked him to reduce it to writing via e-mail.  I'm still waiting for that e-mail confirmation. If the new fee is rescinded,  I will tackle this problem again, 365 days from now.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I canceled several years ago. Don't miss it one bit.

Anonymous said...

"And one of the reasons for cancelling is the simple fact they are a left-leaning newspaper. Even their Left and Right columns are always left leaning and Trump hating. The editor even wants to keep sanctuary cities."

But if they offer you a lower price, your very principled stand goes right out the window.

You handle your paper subscription just like you vote.

Hilarious.

Lynn Anderson said...

As a blogger, I want to know what the other side is saying and writing. I fight for principles and one is the cost of a product. You, on the other hand, just agree with the liberal line and continue to hate.
As far as voting, I believe Trump won. And thank God for that. Your gal Hillary is a POS. You wasted your vote. But you're probably so principled that you will continue to support a "feminist." What a joke.

George said...

And Mueller is likely to bring charges against Manafort on Monday to divert attention from big crook Hillary and smaller crook, himself

The Post has become a hateful slimy rag and will go bankrupt and fold soon.

The internet and OAN and Fox gives me all the news I want.

I am so happy I gave us this AM annoyance.

Constance said...

"As a blogger, I want to know what the other side is saying and writing."

So you can call it fake news and then totally ignore it? C'mon, Lynn. People know you. They know you could care less what "the other is saying and writing." You're going to believe your right wing news and emails before anything that appears on CNN or MSNBC or the Palm Beach Post.

BTW, you know that the Post is online, right? As is the Sun-Sentinel and the Herald. Crazy thing is that you don't have to have newspapers delivered to your doorstep in order to read them! Amazing.

Hey, by the way, Mueller's grand jury returned sealed indictments against 2 people in the Russia/Trump investigation. You're probably not reading about it on the websites you visit. Big news that even if you work real hard, try to ignore and not tell readers about, it still isn't going away.

Lynn Anderson said...

I know all about online news. I don't like to read a newspaper online. And I disagree with your analogy. So let's stop the constant put downs from you.
Also, as far as Mueller goes, someone should be indicting him and his sidekick instead of looking back 11 years into Paul Manafort. Let them get an indictment against "Hitlery" and the DNC.

Anonymous said...

The Palm Beach Post is a leftist POS that keeps on getting worse.I dropped my subscription 5 years ago. My Mom keeps hers for the crossword puzzle and the Jumble.I LOVE telling the people trying to sell it at Publix "No thanks,I'm not a Communist".

Anonymous said...

PB Post will go down in flames, along with the new movies starring Julia Roberts and Clooney the incompetent.

Anonymous said...

This newspaper is a dirty leftist rag, canceled ours too , they doubled
The price.

Anonymous said...

The PB Post is horrible they attack and publish lies about good people and try to make them look bad and then take the side of bums like clemens. The truth always comes out! I would never spend a penny on the Post ever again, the only thing it is good for is its Sudoku puzzle!

Anonymous said...

This is what we want in this "blog", crazy senseless blabbering drivel. Please post more of these types of blogs it's great and maybe consider having Katie, Dee, or Doris as guest bloggers a couple times a week just to keep things goofy. Thank you and have a great day!

Lynn Anderson said...

I would encourage a conservative point of view as that is anything But "goofy."
You didn't like my blog on the left-wing PBPost? Sorry about that. What DO you like?

Peter said...

Anonymous is dying to hear more Clinton lies (phony drivel designed to con the voter).

The Palm Beach Compost is right up her alley.

The women she mentions think for themselves, speak up when they see hypocrisy, and frighten the dishonest.

That paper will soon be history or subject to a merger to survive.

Lynn, glad you made the Post lower their rates.

They keep sending me enticements but I will bite only when they pay me to subscribe.

Anonymous said...

At 12:26pm: hola Mark!