Thursday, September 29, 2016

Carousel Antiques Closing


It's a shame what's happening to Lake Worth. I'm not sure what the overall problem is that is causing businesses to fold but I can't help but believe that it is the take-over of our downtown by bars, nightclubs, vape, panhandlers, addicts, crime and the homeless. Yesterday I went to a downtown Lake Worth store at 1:30 and it was closed. I had a message from the owner later who said that business has been "terrible" and she is opening a little later in the day.

Now we have Fred Chalker of Carousel Antique Center, a business that has been in downtown Lake Worth for 50 years, who is moving on--he no longer is making money in downtown Lake Worth. He has sold his building and the new owner says he will build two more stories. William Waters, says "Wait a minute there."

Read about it...

Photo from 11-14-13

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No you WON'T build 2 more stories!!! And what Realtor told you this was a possibility? He/she should be charged with giving fraudulent information to a buyer!! Absolutely no 4 story building on Lake. Especially not on the corner of Lake and Dixie! We are a 1-2 story downtown. The Lucerne is a friggin eyesore and huge mistake that will never be repeated. Carousel building is already 2 stories tall and this is how it is going to stay!!

Anonymous said...

I like Carousel antiques. I've bought things there. Wonderful owners. But I kind of stopped going in because their stock barely changed over the years. The same old stuff.

Lynn Anderson said...

They can build to 45' there.

Anonymous said...

Which is three stories unless you want a box with no character.

Weetha Peebull said...

Sorry Anon @ 11:44 but this dais can change all the rules
you think are in place w/a waiver and on top of that there's
"Pay to Play" (Community Benefits) built into the LDR's! So
they will have to (if they haven't already, donate to
campaigns and ask for waivers, then 'give back' the stupidest
chit and ANYONE CAN build what they want, were they want,
whenever they want! It's all in public record!

Anonymous said...

If they add two stories, will they or won't they have to have an elevator installed? I can't imagine paying that kind of money to construct something that will just be another fire trap. Maybe they will just hold onto it. The road to riches has always gone through owning property, but sometimes it takes more than one generation.

Anonymous said...

Only to 45 feet...

Anonymous said...

I remember when I first moved to Lake Worth the Downtown was nothing but Antique stores, and very few people visited. I guess I personally like having a Vibrant Downtown with visitors from other towns and countries. I guess Lynn in your eyes that just makes me foolish.

Lynn Anderson said...

As I recall, the CRA and the City with the support of your little friends made LW an arts destination---that would include antiques.

You like it "vibrant." Talk with the merchants, other than the restaurants, bars and nightclubs. They will tell you it's DEAD. they will tell you that they see nothing but bums walking all over the place, drunk, strung out or stealing something.

I love tourists...they are what make our city successful by spending their $$ here. So, don't assume that I think you're "foolish." What I think is that you are the perpetual ball buster who comes over here with a total hard on for me. Did I get that one right?