Monday, February 24, 2020

Omari Hardy is the Winner in the Winner and Loser of the Week

Winner and Loser of the Week in Florida politics — Week of Feb. 16

Read about it... "State Rep. Al Jacquet: Good grief. This was a runaway choice for the Loser of the Week. In a video on his personal Facebook page, Jacquet referred to Lake Worth Beach City Commissioner Omari Hardy as a “batty boy.”

In the Caribbean, that term is a slur against homosexuals.

Really, Jacquet? Really?

Hardy is running in the Democratic primary to unseat Jacquet.

'It appalled me that a member of the Florida House of Representatives and member of the Florida Democratic Party, which for years has stood up for LGBTQ rights, would use that kind of language,' Hardy told the Palm Beach Post.

He added that even though he is not gay, 'it was still personal for me because I was raised in a same-sex household. I have two mothers and I know how hurtful those types of slurs can be. I don’t think that language represents his constituents. That has no place in politics and it certainly has no place in the Legislature of America’s third-largest state.'

Jacquet apologized.

Hardy did not accept the apology." [FloridaPolitics.com]

2 comments:

kkss21 said...

Shame on Jacquet for making such a stupid remark! I don't agree with Hardy on our local politics sometimes,but he is a very smart guy. Shame on Hardy for not being more gracious and accepting Jacquet's apology .

Lynn Anderson said...

If I were Omari, I would have slammed him silly.