Saturday, May 14, 2016

Smart Meters being installed in Lake Worth

Comment Up

Siemens' sub-contractors have been in my community for the last several days changing out the water meters to Smart Meters.  Eventually this means that we will lose more employees unless they are transferred to different jobs within our utility.


The city is spending nearly $3 million on over 4,000 LED streetlights, $5.5 million on solar panels at our landfill, close to a million on new a/c units, etc. and hold on to your chair, they will be spending right under $13 million for advanced metering infrastructure that includes new smart meters, meters they say aren't really smart meters (that was for the Mayor's benefit) but they are.

We had discussions at the time--people were worried that smart meters could cause cancer. Smart meters give off RF radiation. RF radiation is low-energy radiation. RF radiation is classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a city who claims we are financially strapped and just 2 years ago started replacing the >50 year old disc Electric meters with digital meters and for a cost over $1M and now turn around and replace them is just crazy. I know our water meters were beyond their use but really on the electric meters we will not get the same use as FPL get from there metering system yet we spend the money for them and our fav commissioners wonder why we don't vote in their favor. REALLY

Lynn Anderson said...

Well, I guess I don't have to remind anyone that this Trio was re-elected with landslide margins. I have never seen so much money and outside interests involved in our little city election.

Anonymous said...

Just read an article on Wes's post talking about our lack of funds for repairing streets and such raising elect rates is wrong yet we spend $ like we have it on stuff like lights and meters that we already just replaced. I Sure understand the safety of more lighting but why not just add more of what we had instead of replacing all lights. You won't find FPL doing that anywhere in their system nor most municipalities. We are a runaway train.

Weetha Peebull said...

This blood is on the Mayors hands!

Anonymous said...

And they are laughing all the way to the bank. And serving their donors, not necessarily the people who live here. What I like about my old water meter is that I can see the reading myself. I have caught overcharges myself this way and asked for a second reading. Will we have no way of checking if we are being billed correctly? I've already had cancer, an experience I do not wish to repeat. I'm sure that's not important if there's a deal to be made--

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, you're not going to get cancer from your water meter.

Anonymous said...

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/smart-meters